Home Medication Reviews
Skye Swift, co-owner of Varela Swift Pharmacy and Jared Doevendans are fully accredited to carry out Home Medication Reviews on your behalf.
Do you know your medicines? If medicines aren’t used properly, or if the wrong ones are used together, the results can be serious. Each year more than 140,000 Australians have to go to hospital with problems caused by their medicine. It has been shown that in up to 69% of these cases the problem can be avoided. Older people are particularly at risk.
As a response to this problem, the Pharmacy Guild of Australia has developed the Home Medicines Review (HMR) Program.
What's Involved in a HMR?
An HMR involves your GP and a community pharmacist of your choice. Your GP sets up the review by writing a referral to the pharmacist. A pharmacist conducts an interview, preferably in the comfort of your own home, and then writes a report back to the GP. The GP will discuss any recommendations with you and may make appropriate changes to your medication regimen. The solutions may involve:
- showing you how to take your medicines correctly
- explaining why and when to take them
- explaining where they should be stored
- what to expect when taking them
- what problems you should report to the GP
- checking that prescription medicines, over-the-counter medicines and vitamins are appropriate to take together
- clarifying any confusion with generic medicines
- giving you some help so you can remember to take your medicines
- changing your medicines.
HMRs are particularly useful for people who:
- take more than five medicines a day
- have recently spent time in hospital
- are concerned about their medicines
- are confused about their medicines
- do not always remember to take their medicines.
How Much Does it Cost?
The pharmacist’s review and report is paid for by the Australian Government, so it will not cost you anything. Your GP may bulk-bill or charge you for the GP consultations.
If you (or someone you care for) might benefit from having an HMR, talk to your GP or pharmacist about organising one. HMRs are available in all States and Territories.